Tobold's Blog
Friday, August 12, 2016
 
Two evenings of content

Since the expansion pre-patch for Legion I played World of Warcraft two evenings long: One to play the Broken Shore event plus demon invasion once each with a Horde and an Alliance character, and one to level a Demon Hunter from 98 to 100 and out of his tutorial / starting zones. Those two evenings were pleasant enough. I liked how the Horde and Alliance cinematics told the same story from different angles; not quite "Rashomon", but nice nevertheless. But that was pretty much it for the pre-patch. Sure, I could farm those demon invasions for iLevel 700 gear, but why would I? It is only marginally better than the gear I already had, and presumably is going to be replaced by the gear I get in the first quest chain of Legion.

A lot of games these days expect you to keep playing after you ran out of new content. You are supposed to farm and grind stuff repeatedly for some sort of virtual reward, even if the gameplay has become quite boring by then. Some of the mobile games I'm playing, including Mobius Final Fantasy (which is rather short with just 2 chapters right now), offer some sort of auto-battle function. So I'm not even required to watch the screen any more while my avatar farms stuff.

In some way I am thankful for MMORPGs, who taught me in over a decade that ultimately all virtual rewards are worthless. I remember the fun I had with my guilds and other players far more than I remember the epic loot which was made useless by the next expansion. The few pieces of loot I *do* remember, like the mammoth cloak in Everquest, stick in my mind not because they were so great, but because I put so much crazy effort into achieving them.

I like to explore new content, and I like certain modes of gameplay, especially if they require thought rather than fast reaction. But I am not willing to grind any more for virtual rewards. Guess I won't be playing all that much WoW before the expansion arrives. Probably just once through all the quests they will still add week for week, and that's it.

Comments:
Even learning to play the demon hunter at 100 is kind of a waste of time. Based on past performance, it'll be almost an entirely different experience at 110.

I mean, I'm doing it anyway, because what am I going to do, be productive or something? But it's a waste of time.
 
The first "invasion" was fun, but after that it was clear that you had to do nothing to "win", it was just a show. In fact, I rather expect you would win the invasion even if no one actually fought.

To be fair to the developers? Their hands are tied. They can't really put out an epic fight that you can actually lose. They already demonstrated the unstoppability of the Legion by killing Varian, who, by any measure, could stop any of these nerf bat "invasions" with one hand tied behind his back. If the Legion wanted to vaporize Stormwind? They would just blacken the sky with Protoss Battlecruisers instead of sending just one to strategically insignificant places like Tarran Mill or Westfall.

I've done, I think, 8 of them on my monk, who still "needs" weapons. But does it? Clearly, the expansion has to be playable by people that JUST dinged 100 and stopped what they were doing in WoD to go straight to Legion. So it HAS to be tuned for players with iLevel 620 or so. There is no practical reason to "farm" the invasions for gear. There is no way they're going to set up an expansion that in 3 months, long after the gimme drops of the invasion are gone, that players are going to have to get a level 3 Garrison and grind Tanaan just to be able to start the invasion.

The most amusing people are the ones bitching about others AFKing in the invasions. Really, what the hell do you care?

But I'm still going to get the last 20 tomes from HFC to get the legendary ring for my monk... yes, I know it's the "sunk cost fallacy" making me do it. But it's that or do something constructive, you know?
 
The invasions are really good for leveling alts. So that's what I'm doing with them. And stocking up on felbat pets to sell in a few months.
 
I had similar experience, except I din't play, my girlfriend did. I stood behind her and watched her screen and despite liked what I see, I had motive to "play" it myself. WoW is rather a somewhat interactive TV program than a game.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool